Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Squish face

There were a couple of Boston Terriers around TAS recently. I always thought that Bostons, or squish face dogs as I used to call them when I was a kid, were like pickles or stinky cheese. It might take a while to get used to them but then you can't get enough of them. Well, that's not true. I can quite easily get enough of pickles and stinky cheese but Bostons have never lost their appeal. That seems to be a common feeling with others as well as the two Bostons at TAS were pretty quickly claimed.

This inquisitive, well mannered male Boston has gone to a rescue where they'll hopefully ba able to take care of the redness in the skin around his face and the growth in his mouth:


And this is a letter from the new owners of the female Boston:

Just wanted to let you know that Fergie is doing GREAT! She is by far the
sweetest dog we have ever met and is a welcome addition to our family.

She is settling in w/ her new brother Spanky quite nicely. Took them awhile
but they have finally figured things out. Here is a pic of them having a
little snuggle on the couch. And they played together for the first time
today...ALL day!

Fergie's cherry eye is back. The operation didn't work. So we're going to
have it done again out here and have a tooth that is rotting pulled all at
the same time. And then she'll be as good as new.

Thanks again for everything...we just LOVE her!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It`s interesting to hear what other people have called certain dogs in their youth.
We always called Boston Terriers those NUN dogs.
No disrespect intended.

I just read an article on the foolishness of declaring certain Breeds as dangerous due to their fighting background.

This article mentioned Bostons would be declared dangerous because they were developed as fighting dogs.

I went to the AKC link provided and sure enough it does state that.

[quote]A Look Back
Following the Civil War, the Boston Terrier breed was developed in the stables of Boston, Massachusetts, as a fighting dog. An imported dog known as "Hooper's Judge" (sold to a Boston man in 1870) became the ancestor of almost all true modern Boston Terriers.[/quote]

I had no idea, but I`m sure that`s not news to Boston Fanciers.

Fred said...

Squish face was my generic term for all dogs with flat faces, like English or French Bulldogs or many Boxers. For the longest time I just thought they were weird looking and then one day it hit me that they were kinda cute. Don't know how or why that happened.

Very interesting about the Boston Terrier being a fighting breed originally. I never would've guessed that given the ones I've met over the years. I suspect that the only thing they would fight over nowadays is who gets the warmest spot on the bed.

House of the Discarded said...

*laugh* My Mom used to call Boston's "Leapin' Lizard Dogs", because they were always leaping up and down. :)