Thursday, December 18, 2008

What comes before part B?


Last night, Toronto Animal Services had a little to-do for the volunteers. So, for a change, instead of taking pictures of the four leggers, I was going to take pictures of the two leggers.

At least that was the intention.

The problem with taking pictures of people at parties is that everyone's too talkative. Or maybe that's just me. Anyway, too many conversational distractions and not enough snapping on my part. Instead of dozens of action party shots, I just got four. I guess that's one good reason why I'm better suited to doing a dog blog over a people blog.


I don't talk about this much (ever?) but one of the great things about volunteering at TAS is hanging out with the other volunteers and staff. Of course with the staff, I often feel like I'm interrupting something because they're on the clock but with the other volunteers, I'm just wasting their personal time.


TAS volunteers come from all over. We've got big ones and small ones and ones with long hair and ones with short hair. Some drive, some don't drive. Some rent, some own, some rent to own. The volunteers have a wide range of backgrounds and if I had spent more time talking to them about stuff like that instead of dog this and dog that I might actually have been able to write something highly significant and wonderfully meaningful about that diversity.


Really, though, the volunteers are a fantastic group of individuals, and even though everyone does come from widely varying backgrounds, the desire to help gives everyone something to share together.

Now pass me over the cheesecake.

3 comments:

House of the Discarded said...

As I've always said, it's nice to be around people that aren't just flapping their gums about loving animals. They're doing something important. "They're walkin' the walk - not talkin' the talk." No matter what socio-economic level or what they look like - animal volunteers *rock*...

Caveat said...

Looks like a nice bunch of people.

Which one is you, Fred? Inquiring minds want to know!

Fred said...

Sorry, didn't take a picture of myself there. I know, I know. Eventually, when I get my act together, I'll put something up in the profile area.