Friday, January 8, 2010

Jury duty - day 5

No trials started today so no juries were selected. It's all done. My week is over.

It's definitely not something I'd want to do as a full time job, this waiting around business, but for the week, well, it was something different. It definitely gives insight as to why our justice system is so backlogged and why cases so often get thrown out of court due to institutional delays (thanks for the correction borderjack). If the rest of the systems runs as inefficiently as jury selection, it's amazing they get anything substantial done. The most surprising thing is that no one seems interested in fixing it. Oh well, that's a topic for someone else's blog.

3 comments:

Miz Minka said...

OMG, what a colossal waste of time!!!

Do y'all get paid for jury duty in Canada? Here in Califreakia jurors get $10 a day. Ridiculous.

Fred said...

There's no pay for the first 10 days, then it's $40/day for the next 30(?) days and then it's $100/day for the remainder.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post, thank you! I have been summoned for tomorrow and have a better idea on what to expect. I will be sure to take the elevators whenever possible!

I didn't realize the selection took more than on day...

I haven't been able to find a lot of info on what to expect so I appreciated your posts!